Re: Limiting load?

From: J Robinson <jrobinson852(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 17:15:18 GMT
--- Jordan Hayes <jmhayes@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Is there a way to limit the load a swish-e process
> > will drive the machine to while indexing,
> particularly
> > while writing the word information?
>
> I think swish-e (correct me if I'm wrong!) does it's
> indexing in memory,
> so you can slow it down by renice'ing it [...stuff
removed...].  But I suppose
> you could check for an option in db.c:write_word()
> and sleep a little
> ..

That's a good idea, thanks for the data.

> But I'm curious about this request: it sounds like
> you're seeing too
> much of your machine getting used by indexing, so
> maybe you're indexing
> too much too often?

Sometimes I like to ensure I let most of a machine's
CPU and disk remain free for other tasks.

I was thinking there might be some CPU-quota like
mechanism I could apply to the swish-e program while
it was indexing -- again, past nice-ing the process.

Alternately, is there interest in a '--maxload' patch
for swish-e?

  jrobinson