FW: Re: Memory Problems while indexing

From: Klingensmith, Rick <klingensmith(at)not-real.hr.msu.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 13:29:18 GMT
I'm still not having any luck sorting this problem out. I do have a linux
box and home, but I haven't done a lot with it and will need to install
SWISH-e on it so the learning curve may be a little steep since I live in
the windows world too much.

I checked the web pages before and after the error message from the last
successful run and they seem OK, nothing out of the ordinary that I can see
in the source code.

Any ideas on what would drive SWISH-E to a null pointer?

Rick

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 08:33:19AM -0700, Klingensmith, Rick wrote:
>
> > I am receiving the following warning in my log files from the indexing
> job:
> > Warning: Configuration setting for TmpDir 'D:/Inetpub/Indexes/Temp' will
> be
> > overridden by environment setting 'C:\DOCUME~1\rek\LOCALS~1\Temp' which
> does
> > not exist. When I look in the specified temp directory I've found SWISH-
> > work files so I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.
>
> I think swish-e is giving that warning because you are using TmpDir but
> it found a setting in your environment for TMPDIR, TMP, or TEMP.

I thought of changing this for the user context this process is running
under, but was not sure if it is part of the potential problem or what else
could go wrong.

> > 1468 files indexed.  39,839,610 total bytes.  810188 total words.
> > Elapsed time: 00:32:05 CPU time: 00:32:05
>
> I wonder why your CPU time is the same as Elapsed time.  32 minutes of
> CPU is a lot for 1468 files, I'd think.  Maybe that's a Windows thing.

This may be just a windows thing, but I run the process at night when the
machine sees little use, but it should also be dedicating CPU time to the
web server since it is on the same box.

> > The archives and FAQ point to the -e option to fix memory issues. What
> have
> > I missed?
> [...]
> > We've received an error while indexing our website the last two
> > attempts. The error reads The instruction at "0x0041cca7" referenced
> > memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
>
> Well, I don't know windows error messages, but it looks like something
> tried to read a null pointer.
>
> Do you have a Linux machine on your network?  Can you try indexing the
> same files there?

Unfortunately I don't have a Linux box to test with. Any other ideas from
the windows users of the group.

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley@hank.org