Re: switch to return just number of hits?

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 04:56:20 GMT
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:46:11PM -0700, todd breslow wrote:

> is there a switch to just return the header and not the results? i am
> integrating swish with a generic pager class and would like to display
> the number of hits and then fetch page X of results. the only way i
> have found to get the number of hits is to actually have all the
> results returned. what am i missing?

Well, you would think you could say -m0, but that causes swish-e to
display all.  So it might be possible to make -m0 truly report zero
records.

But this is what I'd do:

$ swish-e -w linux -m1 | grep '^# Number of hits'
# Number of hits: 301

although I wouldn't use grep but rather just look for that output in a
program.

If you want more control than that check out the SWISH::API Perl module
(or the C interface if not using Perl).