Re: Swish on Windows

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 20:27:07 GMT
On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 10:33, Roubart Capcap wrote:
> 1. What is SwishCtl?  I would assume it uses the windows version of swish-e?

An ActiveX control which allows you to search a SWISH-E index.  This is
currently intended to be a client-side control embedded into web pages
for use with Internet Explorer.  For example, you could distribute a
search interface for Windows on a CD-ROM along with a set of documents.

SwishCtl can't be used client-side over the web.  (And I may implement
security restrictions which prevents such use.)  It could be used with
ASP, Visual Basic, VBS, or probably any other programming language that
can use ActiveX controls.  The error handling would need to be changed
to work well with ASP.  Right now you'd end up with a screenful of
dialog boxes on the server console.

> 2. Can you do highlighting if you use SwishCtl?

If you're willing to write the Javascript to do so.  ;-)  Otherwise,
no.  I don't think it could be as thorough as the highlighting done by
the PERL script, though.

> 3. I see a lot in the thread about building swish-e in Windows.  Do I need to
> do that if I already downloaded the swish-e executable?

If you don't know why you would want to build then no.  You'd only want
to build SWISH-E if you were developing SWISH-E itself or C/C++ based
programs which use SWISH-E libraries.

> 4. Can anybody point me any example of using ActiveX on running swish-e?

Well, if you have SwishCtl then look at the query.htm which was provided
with it.  That's almost entirely Javascript calling into SwishCtl.

> 5. Lastly I just wanted to ask if the swish-e filters (xpdf, catdoc, xltohtml) works on Windows?

Yes, they should.  You need pdftotext, pdfinfo, catdoc, etc in the PATH
and ActivePerl 5.8 installed.  My intent is to provide everything needed
with the Windows installer.  I'm slowly making my way toward that goal.

catdoc doesn't support Windows (only DOS, no LFN).  So, I need to finish
porting the latest version to Windows.  It's fairly messy, really.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/