Re: spidering an intranet that requires login

From: <moseley(at)>
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 13:29:02 GMT
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:41:45PM -0700, Bill Conlon wrote:

> But this bombs out with
> swish-e -S prog -c spider.config
> Indexing Data Source: "External-Program"
> Indexing ""
> sh: line 1: username=swishe: command not found
> sh: line 1: .password=swishe: command not found
> /usr/local/lib/swish-e/ Reading parameters from 'default'

-S prog programs are opened with a popen() call which uses the shell.
So you need to escape your metachars.  There's a few ways to do this.

(Under normal shells -- Windows users would need to reverse the quotes, probably)

  SwishProgParameters "default ''"

Or just quote the one parameter:

  SwishProgParameters default "''"

Or backslash -- need double to escape, but I wouldn't do it this way:

  SwishProgParameters default\\&password=spider

Bill Moseley