SWISH-E License

From: Roy Tennant <roy.tennant(at)not-real.ucop.edu>
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 15:27:49 GMT
Recently I've been asked from two different sources about the SWISH-E
license. Since my attitude has been that the less I'm asked about legal
matters, the better I like it, I'm in a panic. SWISH-E has been through
a couple license changes in the past, and if the present GPL license is
not what the current developer community wants, then I'm all for
changing it again.  Specifically, the issue appears to get down to
this. The GPL license is somewhat demanding in regards to including
SWISH-E with other licensable entities. That is, if you include SWISH-E
  code in another software product, that software product must abide by
some fairly strict rules. Having looked at the GPL license more closely
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php>, I tend to think
it is too restrictive. Alternatives that have been suggested include
the "lite" version of GPL
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php> and the BSD
license <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>. There may
be others worth considering as well, and I suggest this source:
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.php> to compare licenses. I'm
looking for guidance here, folks. You're the people doing the work and
you should have a say in how it's licensed. Besides, like I said, the
less I have to think about legal matters the better I like it!
Roy Tennant