Re: description meta tag in search results

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 22:24:23 GMT
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:12:57PM -0700, S T wrote:
> Yes, I do have
>
> PropertyNames description
>
> in my config file. However, I use swish-e as an embedded c-library from
> inside my c programm. When I do
>
> char*	szchHelper = SwishResultPropertyStr ( qCookie-> swishHandle,
> result, "description" );
>
> I get non-null empty string as a result instead of the content of html
> "description" meta tag. I have

Use either swish-e -p description or swish-e -T index_files (I think you can use -b and -m
to limit what is shown) to make sure you have a property.

IIRC, SwishResultPropertyStr returns the text (null) if the property name doesn't exist at
all (i.e. you used "descripion" by mistake), otherwise it returns an empty string if the
given file just doesn't have any data for that property.

There's nothing special about a property named "description" so if others are working and
this one isn't then it's likely that swish-e is not storing any data for that property when
indexing.  Use -T properties when indexing to check.