Re: swish-e

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 21:12:20 GMT
On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 09:30, Kelli Coggins wrote:
> I have seen all of the step-by-step methods if you have perl. Do you
> have to use perl?

Only if you need to use the HTTP spider.  Otherwise, everything can be
done without PERL.  PERL makes filtering and spidering much easier.

> I have installed the swish-e 2.2.3 win32 exe file on my server and I
> the simple search php file. I have no idea how to configure it though.

Assuming your PHP install works and is setup to handle .php3 files.
(You can safely rename search.php3 to search.php or whatever.)  And,
assuming you've installed SWISH-E to the c:/swish-e directory.  And,
assuming you've installed the simple search files to a directory that
will end up as:  http://localhost/search

1) create an index file(s) using swish-e.exe from command line or batch:
  c:\swish-e\swish-e -f c:/swish-e/test.idx -i c:/htmldocs/

1b) make sure the new index file works from command line:
  c:\swish-e\swish-e -f c:/swish-e/test.idx -w some test words here

2) edit search.conf; point it to swish-e.exe:
  /*** Setup the path to your SWISH-E executable ***/
  $strSearchEngine = "c:/swish-e/swish-e.exe";

3) edit search.conf; specify index files to use:
  /*** Setup SWISH-E Indices ***/
  $arySearchSiteIndices = array(
      // DO NOT use any special characters.  Use "_" instead of " "
       "Test_1"  => "c:/swish-e/test.idx"
      ,"Test_2"  => "c:/swish-e/test2.idx"
  );

It's a simple PHP associative array.  You can omit the Test_2 line
entirely if you only want to use one index file.  If more than one index
is listed in the array you will see a drop-down box in the web
interface.

4) edit search.conf; specify the URL of search.php3:
  $strSelf = "http://localhost/search/search.php3";

Once all that's done you should be able to open the URL on your web
server.  e.g. http://localhost/search/search.php3

> My question is, what do I do now? Have you seen any "lead me by the hand"
> documentation for set-up?

I've not seen anything really.

I've been planning to rewrite SWS to take advantage of SWISH-E 2.x
forever.  When I do that I'll provide some documentation and perhaps a
configuration script.  But, that's not going to happen real soon.  I
believe SWISH-E 2.4 will have a PHP DSO/DLL module.  So, I'll probably
be much more motivated to rewrite SWS after 2.4 releases.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/