Re: Compiling on W2K - Mingw

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy <seagull(at)not-real.fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 04:14:07 GMT
On 16 Apr 2003 15:10:38 -0500, "David L Norris" <dave@webaugur.com> said:
> On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 09:54, Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >  I was able to port SWISH-E (daily snapshot swish-e-2.3.5-2003-04-16) on
> >  W2K using
> > MinGW32 environment (using GCC 3.2). I got a working executable and an
> > archive file (library).
>
> The daily Win32 builds are built using MinGW (GCC 3.2) cross compiler
> under Linux.  There's a src/win32/build.sh script which is used to make
> the daily builds.  There's also a src/win32/dist.sh which translates all
> the text files to DOS format and generates a self installer executable
> from the win32.nsi NSIS script.
>
> Automated Daily Win32 Builds:
>   http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/daily/
>
> Various files of interest:
>   http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/
>
> > W2K port using MinGW32:
> > ${MINGW32} : Path to top level directory of MinGW32 tools installation
> >
> > Files to Install in ${MINGW32} from SourceForge (gnuwin32):
> >  1. pcre - perl compatible regular expression library
> >  2. GNU Regex library
> >  3. libxml2 (www.xmlsoft.org)
> >  4. libexpat
>
> You shouldn't need GNU Regex with PCRE.  PCREPOSIX is meant to replace
> it.  Expat is included in SWISH-E CVS.  You may also want zlib so you'll
> have compression support.
>
> This is my build dir with libxml2, zlib, and pcre:
>   http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/builddir.tar.gz
>
> SWISH-e can be built like this (under MSYS & MinGW):
>  tar xvzf builddir.tar.gz
>  cd win32
>  export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/swishe"
>  cvs -z3 co swish-e
>  cd swish-e
>  ./configure --with-libxml2=$PWD/../libxml2 \
>      --with-zlib=$PWD/../zlib --with-pcre=$PWD/../pcre
>  cd src
>  make
>
> Let me know if you notice any troubles building.  I just ran the above
> build on Windows 2000 with no modifications to SWISH-E sources at all.
>
> You probably cannot make in the top level directory since the docs and
> such require extra tools you may not have on Windows.

I was building on Windows 2000 (not cross compilation) to get the
executable. I was not able to build with out modifying the 'libtool' and
'src/Makefile' as mentioned earlier. With regard to the "REGEX library",
I have the latest "PCRE library" and there is no need for "REGEX lib".
With an older version of "PCRE lib", you need "REGEX lib" as some methods
ex:regexec... are undefined.

I sincerely feel, we need to slightly modify the makefile to support W2K
native build with out using cross compilation. Probably, by have a
conditional definition for
swish_e_LDADD.

with regards,
dhruva