Re: Problems with cron

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 16:50:58 GMT
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Tajoli Zeno wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I have problem to index.
> I want to launch all by cron
> But the process starts and immediately it dies.
> It seems that the process wants an output on a terminal.
> I haven't problemen if I send the command on the command line.

It's expect that to be more of an environemt problem -- something is
different when running under cron.

> If I send this command on the command line: "swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf
> -v 2 >log.sw &", I don't  everything in the file "log.sw". Some pieces are
> on terminal. On terminal there are logs like that:

spider.pl writes files to stdout, and messages to stderr.  Swish reads
from spider.pl's stdin.

You can try setting the environment variable SPIDER_QUIET=1 when running
the spider to stop output.

swish-e, on the other hand, writes messages to stdout.  If you want its
output to stderr use the -E option.  You can specify a file if you like,
but you should also be able to redirect stderr to a file as you are doing.

I'm not so sure I'd run the command in the background when running from
cron.

Without testing, I'd probably do something like

  SPIDER=QUIET=1 swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf -E -v0

and then if there's any output (like an error) you get email from cron.
Or just capture and do something:

  SPIDER=QUIET=1 swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf -E -v0 2> swish.log || echo swish.log

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org