Re: Use of swish-e in BaBar high energy physics exp.

From: Douglas Smith <douglas(at)not-real.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 22:16:37 GMT
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 02:17 pm, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > 3. The ranking on word in context work very well, and people so
> > far are able to get the correct page back quickly.
>
> Seems to work ok for searches that return a small set of results.

Depends on what you call a small set, people seem fairly
happy even when swish-e returns a few 1000 docs.  But this
might be becuase of the nature of discussion postings compared
to longer web pages.

> > But is
> > there more work being done on ranking?  Like influencing the
> > ranking by number of other pages in a search that link to that
> > page.  I mean if a lot of pages in a search rank link to one
> > page, then that page should be considered higher in rank.
>
> You mean like google's page rank?  There no tracking of links like that in
> swish.  The data base is not set up so a page's rank can be adjusted the
> more other pages link to it.
>
> But other wise, YES, the ranking code needs work.  It's very basic code
> right now.

I just mention this, because it has been mentioned to me,
and I might have to sit in on more discussions about Google
use.  This would give me a little more ammo. in the discussion
of why we don't really need Google on site.  If some people
latch on to a missing feature that they start to argue is
what we need or nothing, then people might start to think
we need Google, and I will have Google and swish-e to support.

Douglas

Douglas A. Smith                  douglas@slac.stanford.edu
Office: Bld 280, Rm 157                       (650)926-2369