Re: Defaults for -S http method

From: Alex Lyons <Alex.Lyons(at)not-real.sercoassurance.com>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 08:38:46 GMT
Bill,

Your proposal sounds very sensible to me.

I seem to remember a default setting that only allows a site below a
given URL to be spidered (ie: no links followed to other servers or to
parent (../) URLs).  If this is so it should prevent naive users from
causing too much damage.

Alex.

  privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
  If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
  disclose such information.
  Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are
  free from viruses.
  Serco Group plc. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2048608
  Registered Office: Dolphin House, Windmill Road,
  Sunbury-on-Thames TW16 7HT, United Kingdom.

>>> Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> 04/04/03 00:59:48 >>>
Swish has two default that seem wrong for spidering with the -S http
method.

The "Delay" is set to 60 seconds.  That seems way too long for the
average
user.  I'd think 5 seconds would be fine.

MaxDepth is set to 5.  That only seems like a way to not index
documents
you thought should be indexed.  I'd think zero (do not limit by depth)
would be best).

Those are just the defaults, they can still be overridden in your
configuration file.

See any problems with those changes?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org