word fragment stemming

From: McKenzie, Chuck <Chuck.McKenzie(at)not-real.pleasantco.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 18:06:31 GMT
Is there an existing way to have swish-e match a search for the beginning of
a word to the full word?  As an example, matching "hosp" to "hospital"?  I
haven't found a way to do it with existing Stemming or FuzzyMatching
options.

Would the best way to do this be to use a custom indexing program that for
each word, added an index entry for substr($word,0,3) through
substr($word,0,length($word))?

In context, I'm looking to replace our existing Netscape Enterprise Server
search engine with apache/swish-e, but many people have been trained to use
the existing search engine with only word fragments, and I need to avoid
having to retrain them.

Thanks,
Chuck McKenzie

to a plain text message.