Re: Strange error message in logs

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 22:44:38 GMT
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Brian Tingle wrote:

> Just testing it out as a single user things look normal and work fine, but
> when I crank up concurrent users, I get messages like these in the logs.
>

> Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned:
> -5.  uncompressed size: 30578 buf_len: -4265104
>
> err: Ran out of memory (could not allocate 4294967169 more bytes)!

> Anything to worry about?

Probably.

The zlib errors: -3 is Z_DATA_ERROR and -5 is Z_BUF_ERROR.

Are you using Apache Bench?  And if so just changing -c causes the
problem?  I don't know why changing conncurent users would make a
difference.  Are you requesting the same data or by using more concurrent
users are you just requesting different records.

I'd suspect a potential problem with a single record than with the load,
but that's just a guess at this point.  Can you reproduce that error if
you use SWISH::API and search for "not notawordinyourdocs" and then loop
through all the results and fetch all properties?

By the way, what kind of requests per second are you seeing with using the
library?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org