Re: Windows XP

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 20:39:01 GMT
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 11:46, Der_WACHTMEISTER@gmx.de wrote:
> Although swish-e is said to be one leading and widely used search engine, I
> cannot find any note on it being used under Windows XP.
> My company is developing a document management system and we need a search
> engine (in C/C++ sources); our search lead to swish-e, cpl, glimpse, zebra,
> mps information server and mnogosearch.

> Swish-e is most interesting among
> those, but - big drawback - seems to only support Windows NT (besides the Unices).
> Is Windows development stopped or can we rely on ongoing progress of the
> library?

The documentation may not mention Windows XP but it should work the same
as all other 32-bit Windows systems.  SWISH-E on Windows stays almost
entirely within the POSIX API.  Filesystem access implements a dirent
API wrapper around the findfile Win32 functions.

All of the SWISH-E 2.2.x releases have been built with Visual C++ .NET
under Windows XP.  There are daily builds of the SWISH-E development
code for Windows.  The daily builds are made using a MSVC compatible GCC
cross-compiler under Linux.

Daily Repository Source Snapshots:
  http://swish-e.org/dev/swish-daily/
Daily Repository Windows Builds:
  http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/daily/

Bill recently spent quite a bit of time reworking the library API.
We've been working on building the PERL module for Windows.  I hope to
have a usable SWISH-E DLL.  With Bill's API improvements that should be
possible.

And, failing all that you're always welcome to help make any other
improvements.  ;-)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/