Users of the Swish C Library?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 01:07:20 GMT
Looking toward a new release...

The C library in the dev version of Swish has changed.  As far as I know,
only a few people are using the C interface.

In addition, the SWISHE perl mdule has been replaced with a SWISH::API
perl module.  I wrote a pure Perl SWISHE.pm module that should be a
drop-in replacement for the previous version which would allow people
using the old SWISHE.pm interface to use newer versions of swish.  The new
one just talks to the SWISH::API module.

I kind of hope that the replacement SWISHE.pm module is not needed.

I have not written any interface for the C library.

I don't really want these changes to break existing code or applications.
But I also don't want to spend time writing an interface layer if it's not
used.  I also think that the newer library API is a better interface, so
not making it too easy would encourage people to upgrade their code. ;)

Anyway, now would be a good time to discuss this instead of after it's
released.

As far as I can remember, the next release will not have any major
changes, so there's no real reason to upgrade if you are running 2.2.x.

It's mostly code reorganization for the library (and for the SWISH::API
module).  I've rewritten some of the swish.cgi code and associated
modules, and added SWISH::API support into swish.cgi (for speed when
running under mod_perl).  A few small bug fixes.  Changes can be seen at:

   http://swish-e.org/dev/docs/CHANGES.html

One other important issue:

The ranking code has also changed in the dev version.  This needs more
testing, and really, I could use some HELP! in tuning the code into
something that makes sense.

for reference:

The new C interface is at:

   http://swish-e.org/dev/docs/SWISH-LIBRARY.html