Re: Problem with make, ld & libxml2

From: Andrew Lord <andrewlord(at)not-real.internode.on.net>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 15:27:30 GMT
> > History:
> >
> > Initially on the RedHat server they did:
> >
> > ./configure --with-libxml2=/home/virtual/sitex/fst/var/www/html/libxml2
> > --prefix=/home/virtual/sitex/fst/var/www/html/swish1
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > The make failed so they tried again, this time without libxml2.  They
> > did:
> >
> > ./configure --without-libxml2
> > --prefix=/home/virtual/sitex/fst/var/www/html/swish1
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > The report for the second attempt (without-libxml2) is shown below.  The
> > make fails again but what's got me stumpped is that despite
> > re-configuring --without-libxml2, 'make[1]' still seems to be trying to
> > 'look for' libxml2.

Hi Bill,

> Did they run "make clean" or "make distclean" before running configure
> again?  Some older versions of autoconf use cached results when running
> configure if available.

No.  I'll get them to try that.

> Another solution would be to install libxml2, of course.

I was hoping to avoid the larger sized perl module, as per the suggestion
issued when doing 'perl Makefile.PL'.  Perhaps this is not a major issue.  Is
the perl module *much* larger/slower when swish has been compiled
--with-libxml2 ?

Also, I thought I'd try to keep the installation as simple as possible, given
that the first attempt to get swish to compile --with-libxml2, failed
(results not shown).  Then, as with the second attempt, ld was complaining
about not being able to find -lxml2 even though it was located at
'/usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.4.10'.  I would have thought that was a fairly
standard place for ld to look for it.  I wonder if I assume too much ?

The remote server runs the bash shell.  Looking at the swish documentation, it
says that when using a bourne shell, the correct way to specifiy path to
libxml2 would be:
	"LD_RUN_PATH=/home/virtual/sitex/fst/var/www/html/libxml2  make"

I don't know much about shells.  Is bash a bourne shell ? If not, should I
then be setting the path as follows:

	"setenv LD_RUN_PATH /home/virtual/sitex/fst/var/www/html/libxml2
	make "  ?

> Will you be indexing on that machine or only searching?

Yes, I was assuming that I would be doing the indexing on that remote machine.
I thought it better to assume that any index created on my machine would not
be operable on that machine but this may be an overly pessimistic assumption.

Cheers,

AndrewLord