TranslateCharacters - clarification required

From: Tref Gare <trefg(at)not-real.areeba.com.au>
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 08:19:38 GMT
Sorry if this is getting boring all, but I'm really struggling with this
and not getting much joy from the archives, documentation nor google
trawls.

I'm sure swish-e is fully capable of indexing accented characters
(latin-1) but for some reason my swish-e setup seems to be unable to
manage it - specifically  which it indexes as  &  respectively, then
displays as box symbols or question marks.

I'd hoped I could get around it with TranslateCharacters set to either

TranslateCharacters  ee
Or
TranslateCharacters :ascii7:

As I thought thay might translate the characters when indexed and then
display the translated characters when searched.  However I think I've
misunderstood the effect of TranslateCharacters as this doesn't seem to
be the result I'm getting (no change to display anomalies).

Can someone clarify whether TranslateCharacters can do this (display
side) transformation, and if not, if there's any other way of getting
around the issue of swish-e not indexing accented chars.

Setup is:
Solaris 8
Swish-e 2.2.3
libxml
Indexing via filesystem
HTML2 and XML2

HTML indexing Config File looks like this. (xml is indexed separately
but suffering the same problems).
==================================
IndexFile "/WWW/ACMI/WEB-INF/search/catalog/acmi.index"
IndexDir .

IndexContents HTML2 .htm .html .jsp
StoreDescription HTML2 <body> 150

#PDF indexing elements

IndexContents TXT .pdf
FileFilter .pdf pdftotext "%p -"
StoreDescription TXT 120

TranslateCharacters  ee

NoContents .gif .jpg .mdb .xml
IndexOnly .htm .html .pdf .jsp
FollowSymLinks no
MetaNames description
PropertyNames description
ReplaceRules prepend "filesys"
ReplaceRules replace "filesys\." "http://wwd.acmi.net.au:88"
# ReplaceRules regex "/\x5c/\x2f/gi"
 ReplaceRules replace "\\\\" "/"
# this line tells swish-e not to index the any folders with xml in the
path.
# ie the xml folder and all its subfolders
FileRules pathname contains xml
FileRules pathname contains errors
FileRules pathname contains search

Thanks for any help, I'm getting tired lonely and frustrated now and
there's not much hair left to pull out.

Tref