Re: spider and cgi problems

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 10:58:51 GMT
On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 04:24, Dave Morton wrote:
> I wasn't aware that PERL code can go right into the config file. I'll have to remember this.
> That is, if I'm reading the above lines correctly.

The spider.pl config (passed via SwishProgParameters in the SWISH-E's
config) is either the filename to a perl script or the keyword
"default".

> I'm using version 2.2.3 at present. Like I said, I'm relatively new; however, I
> did check to make sure the latest version. 8^}

Oh, right, sorry, you said search.cgi...  I'm way too sleepy to be
thinking. ;-)  How about swish.cgi in the example directory?  It
shouldn't have those problems.

> 1.) The spider seems to work well as configured, as far as indexing the pages it's told to
>   look at. I can find all the expected references to whatever keywords I enter, without any trouble.

Well, that's good.  I think your only option for getting everything
indexed is to make a list of URLs you know you need to index.  If you
have any control over the content of the remote sites then perhaps you
could have them put up a URL for you which contains links to all the
documents you need.

> 2.) The search page (search.cgi) returns links to all of the pages I expect it to, but only displays
>   links, rather than, say, the content surrounding the keywor(s) searched, and since there is no
>   content displayed other than page links, any keywords searched are not highlighted. This is the
>   behavior I'm hoping to get the search page to exibit. For example:

I don't believe search.cgi is meant for anything but searching the
documentation.  swish.cgi in example directory should do what you
expect.  (i.e. work like the Discussion forum search)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/