Re: nevermind Re: Re: 2.3.4 from cvs: SWISH::API won't

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 22:19:00 GMT
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Brian Tingle wrote:

> I installed in swish-e in /usr/local/bin and the perl module made okay
>
> so, I kept trying in the custom location; and I think setting
> LDFLAGS=-L/cdldevel2/tingle/dev-bundle/lib
> along with setting the LD_RUN_PATH is what got it to work.

Does running

   $ perl Makefile.PL LDFLAGS=-L/cdldevel2/tingle/dev-bundle/lib
   $ make

generate a diferent compile and linking command than just

   $ perl Makefile.PL
   $ make

It doesn't on my machine.  I'm not sure I know the correct flags as it
seems like I see different things with different versions of Perl. Perhaps
MakeMaker has changed.

I have always done something like:

   $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/foo
   $ make && make install

Then build the Perl module:

   $ cd perl
   $ perl Makefile.PL \
     CCFLAGS=-I$HOME/foo/include \
     LIBS="-lz -L$HOME/foo/lib -lswish-e"
   $ LD_RUN_PATH=$HOME/foo/lib make

Actually, with Perl 5.6.1 I don't need to set LD_RUN_PATH, seems that
MakeMaker figures that out and sets it automatically when running make.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org