Re: Which version of SWISH will solve my problems?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 14:23:33 GMT
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, John Movius wrote:

> 1) The version installed (it was current as of November 2000) seems to
> miss most acronyms and also miss some names (as an example - it will NOT
> index "ALSRL", but it WILL index "Alsace Research List" when both appear
> on a given web page).

I don't know how this could be true.  You will need to post an example
source document and config file that shows this.

> 2)  The SWISH search page is set for 40 hits, but it is variable --
> and it is limited to 100 hits.  I need several hundred hits / listings
> at least and I would prefer at least 500.  I don't mind a longer wait
> for the search to occur, if that is a necessary result.

That's sounds like an issue with your CGI script or whatever program is
talking to swish-e.  Did you look to see if there's a -m parameter sent to
swish?

> Questions: Is there an "older version" of SWISH (compatible with a
> web installation on a Windows 2000 NT Server at an ISP) that does not
> have the two limitations I mention above?

There was never a version of swish-e with those limitations as you
describe them.  You should use the most current version of swish.

> Can it be installed within my existing web space without having to
> deal with my ISP's webmaster and the CGI bin capabilities of that
> Windows 2000 NT server?

Sorry, I have no idea how your ISP works.  I'd think, if nothing else, you
could simply copy the swish-e.exe binary to your ISP.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org