Re: searching in meta and title tags

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 15:18:27 GMT
At 10:57 PM 12/19/02 -0800, roni kim wrote:
>I am having problems with searching in Title tag.
>
>I need to search for a phrase in Metatag and at the
>same time for another phrase in TITLE tag.
>
>I am trying to do something like this:
>swish-e -f ind.index -w ServerPlatform="Unix" -w
>"Product Type" -t t
>but for some reason it returns also pages with word
>"Product" in the document body.

No it doesn't.  You made that up, right?

Here's a New Year's resolution for all.  Please repeat after me: "I'll send
example documents when I have questions."  ;)

The -t switch applies to all words.  So your above example would fail
unless somehow "unix" is in both the meta tag "servertype" and also in a
<title> tag.  Is that the case?

The search syntax could be better to allow applying the -t options to
individual words, but that's not how it currently works.

In HTML, title words are indexed in the default metaname "swishdefault".
So searching as "-w foo" will find foo in the body or in the title.

If you want to limit searches to just the title do this:

  MetaNames swishtitle

then search like

  -w swishtitle=foo

>I am new to Swish, please suggest the right syntax for
>this kind of search.

I think I just did.  I'll also suggest:

 http://swish-e.org/current/docs/INSTALL.html#QUESTIONS_AND_TROUBLESHOOTING

And for everyone...

  http://www.how-to-keep-your-new-years-resolution.com/

although, for some odd reason, they don't mention Swish-e.

mailto:moseley@hank.org