Re: swish.cgi config question

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 18:41:16 GMT
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Peggy Eaton wrote:

> I'ld like to be able to tell the swish.cgi script which config file to
> process.  I'm trying to avoid a situation where multiple groups have
> their own copies of the swish.cgi script just to make sure their config
> files are used during search processing.
>
> I've read the documentation and searched the discussion list, but I'm
> not finding the info I need.  I've tried passing in the config file
> location using QUERY_STRING, but once a search is initiated, the script
> defaults are used, and I'm not crazy about having the directory location
> viewable by end users.  Any suggestions?

Right, you do not want to pass any data that will be passed onto the shell
or used to open a file.  You can do ?config=1 and then use that "1" to map
to a specific config file.

I don't see why you couldn't test QUERY_STRING and set the config file
location based on that, though.  You would have to show the changes you
made so I can see what you are attempting.

Can you use mod_perl? If so then you can use the same swish.cgi code in
the server but use a PerlSetVar for different configs.  You just use
different PerlSetVar directives within each <Location> directive.
Different URLs look like they are running different scripts, but it's
really the same code but with different configs.

If you use mod_perl you will have some very fast searches.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org