Re: Multiple property values.

From: William Bailey <wb(at)>
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 16:55:37 GMT
On Thursday 28 November 2002 16:19, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I don't think that makes sense.  You can't sort a list by two different
> primaray keys.

	True, i didn't explain myself to well but by the issue of only having one
property value per property per file this isn't really relevant any more :)

> But note that combining more than one -L
> select will AND the selects.  When you use -L the code is throwing out
> results that do not fit within the range, so any -L that fails will remove
> the result from the final result list.
> So you can't say select releaseA between X and Y OR releaseB between X and
> Y.
> If that's what you want then you might consider splitting each record into
> multiple "files" (as far as swish-e think) and index each one with a date.
> So if some record has two event dates then you index the record twice,
> except you use different release dates for each one.  Not perfect, of
> course.  You will need to worry about duplicate results.

	ANDing the selects is OK. I now have a number of different release fields
that hold the min and max values and depending on what search is required a
different release property is used and for the initial testing that i have
done so far works well.

> > 	Also how is the MetaNamesRank directive going? This sounds interesting
> > and could well turn out to be a worthwhile feature.
> Eh, well, ah, need to get back to that some day soon.  What I did was to
> use -S prog and then format the data as HTML and then used tags like <h1>
> and <em> to make some text have a higher rank value than others.

Will this work when using 'Document-Type: XML2' when passing the data via
stdin? Will example #1 below have a higher score then example #2 when
searching using -w 'recording.title=bush'?

Also is there a way to produce a high score for phrases that match the whole
value in a meta name. Can example #1 get a higher score then example #3 when
searching using -w 'recording.title="bush"'?

	Example #1

	Example #2

	Example #3
		<recording.title>Kate Bush</recording.title>

Hmmm, now i wonder if anybody can guess what type of data im indexing :)

And for what its worth (dont want to seem like all i do is take) i have a php
class on my web site (in the 'source code' section) that seems to do a good
enough job of wrapping swish-e and its results. There is no documentation at
the moment but if you understand php and my style of coding, heh, then
hopefully you will work out how it works.

	William Bailey.
	Pro-Net Internet Services Ltd.