Re: Multiple property values.

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 16:20:56 GMT
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, William Bailey wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> 	Is there a way to add more then one value to a numeric property?

Nope.

> Basically i
> want to limit and sort my results using -s and -L. The value of the property
> is a date in the YYYYMMDD format however my issue is that it seems that you
> can only specify this property once and i really need this property to have a
> number of values and to still be able to sort and limit the results.

I don't think that makes sense.  You can't sort a list by two different
primaray keys.

> 	I am indexing a XML file and the date is specified ias
> <release>YYYYMMDD<release> however there can be more then one set of
> <release> tags if the item has been released more then once.
>
> 	I suppose that if this can't be done then i could prefiler the xml files
> (which i am already doing anyway) and do a <minrelease>YYYYMMDD</minrelease>
> <maxrelease>YYYYMMDD</maxrelease> and then have 2 different properties which
> i could then use to get the same sort of effect.

That's what you need to do.  But note that combining more than one -L
select will AND the selects.  When you use -L the code is throwing out
results that do not fit within the range, so any -L that fails will remove
the result from the final result list.

So you can't say select releaseA between X and Y OR releaseB between X and
Y.

If that's what you want then you might consider splitting each record into
multiple "files" (as far as swish-e think) and index each one with a date.

So if some record has two event dates then you index the record twice,
except you use different release dates for each one.  Not perfect, of
course.  You will need to worry about duplicate results.

Another option, if your data base is not too huge, is to handle the date
limiting in your application.  Have swish-e return the properties in the
search results and then filter out by the dates.  This will allow you to
do more complex logic on the dates.

> 	Also how is the MetaNamesRank directive going? This sounds interesting and
> could well turn out to be a worthwhile feature.

Eh, well, ah, need to get back to that some day soon.  What I did was to
use -S prog and then format the data as HTML and then used tags like <h1>
and <em> to make some text have a higher rank value than others.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org