Re: Install on Solaris 2.8 - why not as root?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 04:42:30 GMT
At 08:18 PM 10/28/02 -0800, Tref Gare wrote:
>Any help greatly appreciated.
>
>I've just been installing swish-e on a Solaris box and found that I
>couldn't get it to install (or rather ./configure) unless I was logged
>in as root.
>I'm by no means a Unix expert (closer to Newbie) so could someone please
>enlighten me as to why we're not meant to do the first couple of steps
>of the install process ie:
>./configure
>make
>
>as root? I can understand why you wouldn't want to run swish-e as root
>but why can't you install it as such?

Because you should only use root for things that need to be root.  You have
to run "make install" as root (or use sudo or group perms), but otherwise
you don't really want scripts you download from the internet running as
root.  A perfectly benign and non-malicious mistake may be something quite
different when run as root.

Also, running under root might use a different path, and use different
versions of programs (on one of my machines a different version of perl is
used when running as root).  Some programs just don't build correctly under
root, too.  I think mod_perl is an example of that.

It would be helpful to see the output from trying to build non-root.  Were
there any error messages?  That might give a clue why you need to build as
root.

If it's a configure problem then that needs to be brought up with the
autoconf people, too.

mailto:moseley@hank.org