Install on Solaris 2.8 - why not as root?

From: Tref Gare <trefgare(at)not-real.teksupport.net.au>
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 04:19:44 GMT
HI all,

Any help greatly appreciated.

I've just been installing swish-e on a Solaris box and found that I
couldn't get it to install (or rather ./configure) unless I was logged
in as root.
I'm by no means a Unix expert (closer to Newbie) so could someone please
enlighten me as to why we're not meant to do the first couple of steps
of the install process ie:
./configure
make

as root? I can understand why you wouldn't want to run swish-e as root
but why can't you install it as such?

And more importantly perhaps, given that this was the only way I could
get it to configure/compile, what are the side effects of having done
that?

Many thanks

Tref Gare
Development Consultant
Areeba
Level 19/114 William St, Melbourne VIC 3000
email: trefg@areeba.com.au
phone: +61 3 9642 5553
fax: +61 3 9642 1335
website:  <http://www.areeba.com.au/> http://www.areeba.com.au
"This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above and contains information that is confidential. No
confidentiality is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If you
received this correspondence in error, please notify the sender and
immediately delete it from your system. You must not disclose, copy or
rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended
recipient. Any communication directed to clients via this message is
subject to our Agreement and relevant Project Schedule. Any information
that is transmitted via email which may offend may have been sent
without knowledge or the consent of Areeba."

to a plain text message.