Re: integrating swish.cgi with apache/mod_perl

From: Sundaram Balasubramaninan <sundaramb(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 06:20:58 GMT
Hi
In the EXAMPLE directory of swish download , we have swish.cgi, which works fine when fired as a cgi script. By doing so, the webserver will load the perl interpreter every time when a person wants to search, leading to more load on webserver.
How do we optimize the scenario by integrating along with apache  considering this as a primary service to be utilised by website viewers ?.

Do we go for module -- If yes, how do we use this swish.cgi as a module ?
Do we do this with mod_perl -- If yes, how to go about?
Suggest a method by which this can be implemented as a lightweight utility to be accessed over the web?
Let us also have any documentation/literature to assist us in achieving the goal (I)
Sundaram

 Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:At 08:36 PM 10/10/02 -0700, Frank Smitha wrote:
>Can the following be created with Swish-e:
>
>1. A search for words through my files that produces a result that can =
>be clicked on an take the reader to the nearest bookmark within a site =
>-- as is availabe with whatUseek's SiteLevel search.=20

Swish indexes in units called documents and search results return a list of
documents. If you can break your web pages into smaller chunks then, yes,
swish can provide targeted links.

Try a few searches at http://perl.apache.org/search/swish.cgi

I doubt swish-e will have all the bells and whistles of whatUseek.

mailto:moseley@hank.org