Re: Storing Descriptions for PDF Files

From: <Jeffrey.Grunstein(at)>
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 18:46:05 GMT
We have lots of PDF files and some of them are very big.  None have a
metadata description set (the people
who created them are lazy).

Will any of the filters parse the document and take the first n characters,
like what StoreDescription does?

At 11:23 AM 09/27/02 -0700, wrote:
>With Swish-E 2.2 (Solaris 9), is it possible to store descriptions for PDF
>How can I do this?  From the documentation, StoreDescription looks like it
>only with
>HTML, XML and TXT files.

There's a few ways to do it -- each has its good and bad points.
Regardless, you will need to install the xpdf package.

If you only have a few files then FileFilter is probably the easy method.
If you can get the SWISH::Filter setup working then it's kind of cool as
you can add in more filters as you need them without changing much else.

Bill Moseley