Re: problems with Win32 binary release

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 17:11:29 GMT
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 02:00, SRE wrote:
> Just a closing dialog that says something got added to the
> start menu, and where, is enough. My feedback wasn't that it
> didn't work, just that it didn't "feel like" a normal install
> where there's the final "do this to start the tool" popup.

I'll see what I can do about that.

> The only real problem is CRLF terminations, as far as I know.

Well, there are other things that I'd call problems.

> That has always scared me. It's hard enough to chase down bugs
> with the native compiler, much less a cross-compiler.

Actually, GCC does a remarkable job of generating proper Win32
executables linked into the native runtime.  Microsoft even provides GCC
in their Unix add-on (Services for Unix aka Interix).

> Isn't there a version of 'make' that runs native in Windoze?
> Or do you have to load some big toolkit first?

Microsoft nmake is really quite usable; GNU make works as well.  Most
libraries we use allow us to automatically generate a Makefile for
GCC-mingw32.  Makefiles for MSVC aren't so simple.

> Thanks for your efforts. Hope the feedback actually IS useful.

Feedback is definitely useful.  ;-)

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://home.webaugur.com/