Re: found typo in 'configure' (was: unexpected

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:45:05 GMT
At 09:26 AM 09/19/02 -0700, SRE wrote:
>At 11:19 PM 9/18/02, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>It's interesting that I don't see that message on either of
>> FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE
>> FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
>>or any of the other ten or so platforms I tested on.
>
>I'm guessing your userid is in the same group as the userid
>that owns the tmp directory. If so, there won't be an error.

No, that was about the test "==" error.  (And again, that error has no
effect in you situation as it's just a matter of building with zlib or not,
and if you look at your configure output you can see that zlib support is
still compiled in.)

>>Resolving it is an autoconf issue, not a swish-e issue.  If the messages
>>are annoying then you can use a local temporary directory.  For example:
>>   TMPDIR=$HOME ./configure
>>But it won't change the outcome of the script.
>
>Then can I suggest that the default swish-e configuration be
>to use a local directory instead of $TMPDIR ?

No.  configure.in is what is in swihs-e.  "configure" is generated by the
Autoconf tools.  It's using TMPDIR if set, or /tmp otherwise, which is
reasonable.

mv cannot copy across file systems, so mv then does a fall back to cp (like
you suggest) and uses cp -p to set the same permissions as the original
file in /tmp.  Since the file in /tmp has the guid of /tmp which you may
not be part of, you get that message.  You end up with a file in the final
destination with your uid and guid, which is correct.  mv is just giving a
warning about the failure to set a guid that you do not belong to, which is
reasonable.

This is an issue for either the autoconf list, or the FreeBSD people.

>I wonder why they didn't fix a known problem with a known solution?

It's not a problem, it's a notice message.  It's completely reasonable to
use mv to move a file from one place to another.

I'm not going to do anything more (such as hack autoconf) on this issue
other than what I've posted to the autoconf list.

mailto:moseley@hank.org