Re: found typo in 'configure' (was: unexpected

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:45:05 GMT
At 09:26 AM 09/19/02 -0700, SRE wrote:
>At 11:19 PM 9/18/02, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>It's interesting that I don't see that message on either of
>> FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
>>or any of the other ten or so platforms I tested on.
>I'm guessing your userid is in the same group as the userid
>that owns the tmp directory. If so, there won't be an error.

No, that was about the test "==" error.  (And again, that error has no
effect in you situation as it's just a matter of building with zlib or not,
and if you look at your configure output you can see that zlib support is
still compiled in.)

>>Resolving it is an autoconf issue, not a swish-e issue.  If the messages
>>are annoying then you can use a local temporary directory.  For example:
>>   TMPDIR=$HOME ./configure
>>But it won't change the outcome of the script.
>Then can I suggest that the default swish-e configuration be
>to use a local directory instead of $TMPDIR ?

No. is what is in swihs-e.  "configure" is generated by the
Autoconf tools.  It's using TMPDIR if set, or /tmp otherwise, which is

mv cannot copy across file systems, so mv then does a fall back to cp (like
you suggest) and uses cp -p to set the same permissions as the original
file in /tmp.  Since the file in /tmp has the guid of /tmp which you may
not be part of, you get that message.  You end up with a file in the final
destination with your uid and guid, which is correct.  mv is just giving a
warning about the failure to set a guid that you do not belong to, which is

This is an issue for either the autoconf list, or the FreeBSD people.

>I wonder why they didn't fix a known problem with a known solution?

It's not a problem, it's a notice message.  It's completely reasonable to
use mv to move a file from one place to another.

I'm not going to do anything more (such as hack autoconf) on this issue
other than what I've posted to the autoconf list.

Bill Moseley