Re: found typo in 'configure' (was: unexpected

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 16:26:50 GMT
At 11:19 PM 9/18/02, Bill Moseley wrote:
>It's interesting that I don't see that message on either of
> FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE
> FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
>or any of the other ten or so platforms I tested on.

I'm guessing your userid is in the same group as the userid
that owns the tmp directory. If so, there won't be an error.

>Resolving it is an autoconf issue, not a swish-e issue.  If the messages
>are annoying then you can use a local temporary directory.  For example:
>   TMPDIR=$HOME ./configure
>But it won't change the outcome of the script.

Then can I suggest that the default swish-e configuration be
to use a local directory instead of $TMPDIR ?

>I'll ask on the autoconf list about it.
>Thanks for looking at it.

I followed your link, and the problem was slightly misunderstood
during that discussion... however the solution was clear! Use
cp and rm instead of mv. I prefer using cat instead of cp for
things like this, so none of the original file attributes survive.
I wonder why they didn't fix a known problem with a known solution?

If there is some way we can rig autoconf inputs to use a local
temp dir or to use cp/rm instead of mv, we should. I don't have
the knowledge to do it myself.

Steve

PS: More detailed response sent to you and David, off-list.
    The list subscribers are probably tired of hearing about this!