Re: unexpected (and bad) results from ./configure

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 15:16:42 GMT
On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 22:04, SRE wrote:
> >Is it possible you don't have write access to that directory?
>
> As you guessed, I'm running via a CGI script instead of an
> interactive login. The same script creates a directory,
> unpacks the tarball, goes into the resulting directory and
> runs configure. Ownership isn't a problem, and the protection
> is 755 on the directory. Good guess, but doesn't seem to be
> the problem.

The web server's userid is probably severely restricted; particularly if
the normal users have no shell access.

Could you send a copy of the CGI script?  I could test things out here.
I can't reproduce the 'test' command problem on FreeBSD 4.6.2 from a
login shell.

> So the "Operation not permitted" shows up for EVERYONE?
> Can anyone else confirm that? Very worrisome if it's universal.

Sure, on FreeBSD, users do not have chown/chgrp permission in
directories they don't own.  Changing TMPDIR to a directory you own will
get rid of those warnings.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://home.webaugur.com/