found typo in 'configure' (was: unexpected (and bad) results

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 03:29:28 GMT
At 06:11 PM 9/18/02, SRE wrote:
>Not building with libxml2 - use --with-libxml2 to enable
>test: ==: unexpected operator
>config.status: creating Makefile
>mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating doc/Makefile
>mv: doc/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating src/Makefile
>mv: src/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating src/acconfig.h
>mv: src/acconfig.h: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted

None of those problems occur on Solaris 2.6, but they always occur on
FreeBSD (both 2.2.7 and 4.6.2) - this looks like an operating system
incompatibility that is fundamental and persistent across releases.

Just looking at the "test:" problem, the older version of FreeBSD says
  test: syntax error
whereas the newer version says
  test: ==: unexpected operator

That leads me to the following two lines in "configure::
if test "$ac_init_help" = "long"; then
vs.
  if test "$withval" == "maybe"; then

Looks like a real syntax error to me! Either you have a single
equal sign or you double them up. Changing that last one to a
single equals gets rid of the error message:
  if test "$withval" = "maybe"; then

Now, if only someone can tell me whether this syntax is correct,
we can fix the distribution tarball! (I'm good at spotting patterns,
but as I said earlier I don't know /bin/sh syntax...)

Steve