Re: Installation for WINDOWS

From: Schulze, Klaus-Peter <KSchulze(at)>
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:38:37 GMT

here is a little documentation for installing swish-e on Win2k with =

1. Install Perl on the machine, ActiveState is a good start, it also =
the registry entries for the IIS
2. Do it like Bill and doubleclick on the swish-e-2.2-win32.exe, a new
directory with the swish-e files is created
3. Go to the IIS-Manager and create a new virtual directory under the
Default Web with scripting and executable permission (which can be =
4. The virtual directory has to point on the directory created by the =
setup or another directory where you copied the files from the
5. Configure the Perl-Script, the first line has to point to the =
location of
your perl-installation (something like: #!"C:\Perl\bin\perl")
6. there is a line beginning with $swishcgi =3D ..., here should be the =
to the virtual directory with the perl-script (like: $swishcgi =3D
7. Configure the config-file for your index as shown in the =
(IndexDir, IndexFile, IndexOnly, ReplaceRules and so on)
8. Configure a batch file with the indexing call (like: swish-e -S fs =

I hope that helps

At 07:39 AM 09/18/02 -0700, Roland Sippel wrote:
>Where is a Step for Step Installation for WINDOWS ???

When I install it I download the .exe file, double-click on it and then =
installer pops up.

>I can't seem to find any documentation on the site to
>install swish-e on Win2000 Server with IIS Webserver.

Perhaps someone can write that up.  I know nothing about IIS (except =
what I
see on Bugtraq and CERT lists..)  I know some people are using swish-e =
IIS -- I think someone has a library for using swish with ASP.  There's =
link at the bottom of

>- For what is swish-e.exe ?

What's the question?

>- Swish-e uses a perl script for spidering web sites
>    also for Windows ?

>- Which LWP bundle is for Windows ?

The current one would be best.  When using ActiveState's Perl you use =
ppm program to install packages.

The package to install is called "libwww-perl", but I think with =
builds from ActiveState that LWP is a standard modules that is part of =
main Perl distribution.

>- This link doesn=B4t work:

The POD to HTML convert is broken and sometimes generates bad links.  =

>- How do i create a Web-User-Front-End Site under IIS like this:
> ?

How do you run CGI scripts under IIS?  I don't know -- I'll bet there's
lots of FAQs and tutorials about such things on the web.  Maybe someone
here can point you to a good one.  I just searched google for "asp cgi =
tutorial" and came up with a number of hits.

I used to develop CGI scripts on Windows, but I was using Apache.  I =
tell you how much easier things got when I installed Linux and Apache =
on an
old P133 and used it just for testing my CGI scripts.  I used that box =
a year before learning anything about Linux.  If I had to work in IIS =
probably still reverse proxy to a linux box for many things.

And it's still under my desk:

$ uptime
  8:02am  up 131 days, 16:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01

to a plain text message.