Re: Installation for WINDOWS

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:08:25 GMT
At 07:39 AM 09/18/02 -0700, Roland Sippel wrote:
>Where is a Step for Step Installation for WINDOWS ???

When I install it I download the .exe file, double-click on it and then the
installer pops up.

>I can't seem to find any documentation on the site to
>install swish-e on Win2000 Server with IIS Webserver.

Perhaps someone can write that up.  I know nothing about IIS (except what I
see on Bugtraq and CERT lists..)  I know some people are using swish-e with
IIS -- I think someone has a library for using swish with ASP.  There's a
link at the bottom of http://swish-e.org/Scripts/.

>- For what is swish-e.exe ?

What's the question?

>- Swish-e uses a perl script for spidering web sites
>    also for Windows ?

Yes.

>- Which LWP bundle is for Windows ?

The current one would be best.  When using ActiveState's Perl you use the
ppm program to install packages.

  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/

The package to install is called "libwww-perl", but I think with current
builds from ActiveState that LWP is a standard modules that is part of the
main Perl distribution.

>- This link doesn´t work:
>    http://swish-e.org/2.2/docs/INSTALL.html#item_src

The POD to HTML convert is broken and sometimes generates bad links.  Sorry.

>- How do i create a Web-User-Front-End Site under IIS like this:
>    http://search.apache.org/index.cgi ?

How do you run CGI scripts under IIS?  I don't know -- I'll bet there's
lots of FAQs and tutorials about such things on the web.  Maybe someone
here can point you to a good one.  I just searched google for "asp cgi iis
tutorial" and came up with a number of hits.

I used to develop CGI scripts on Windows, but I was using Apache.  I cannot
tell you how much easier things got when I installed Linux and Apache on an
old P133 and used it just for testing my CGI scripts.  I used that box for
a year before learning anything about Linux.  If I had to work in IIS I'd
probably still reverse proxy to a linux box for many things.

And it's still under my desk:

$ uptime
  8:02am  up 131 days, 16:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01

mailto:moseley@hank.org