Re: Error installing the C library

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 21:49:53 GMT
At 04:36 PM 09/17/02 -0500, Cori Diller wrote:
>All I really want to do is use this search engine on a basic html website,
>but I don't know anything about unix or perl. I just need a simple form and
>results page, and the documentation, as I've tried to follow it (I think I'm
>cross-eyed from going in circles), implies that I need all this stuff.

The install doc says:

  Installing the Swish-e C Library (optional)

The docs are a bit too verbose.  Well, either not enough or too much, it
often seems.

Swish is a bit more work to get going, and there's more than one way to do
things, which makes it complicated but more powerful.  There's other
programs that are more turn-key (htdig, for example, is probably easier to
setup).

Did you look at:

  http://swish-e.org/2.2/docs/INSTALL.html#QUICK_START_FOR_THE_IMPATIENT

That's basically step-by-step showing all the command you type.  You might
get stuck if your perl installation does not include all the required
modules.  They are not hard to install, but it's one more thing to learn.
Plus, I'm not sure how it all works on OS X (e.g. if you install manually
or if Apple provides perl packages).

mailto:moseley@hank.org