Re: Search DURING indexing

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 03:48:29 GMT
At 11:34 AM 09/13/02 -0700, David VanHook wrote:
>My question is, I'm going to configure our content management system so that
>it fires the SWISH indexer to do the incremental index every time we add new
>content (probably 4-5 times per day).  Do I need to be concerned about what
>happens when/if a user on the site does a search (using the search.cgi)
>while this indexing is running?  I seem to recall seeing something about
>this on either the discussion or on the docs, but I can't find whatever it
>was.

Indexing writes to temporary files (.temp) and then renames the files after
indexing is done.  This will allow searching while indexing is happening.
It is NOT atomic because there's more than one file in the index (currently
two).  I'm not sure I'd worry about it, but you could do something like:

    ./swish-e -c config -f dir.tmp/index.name && mv dir.tmp dir

and search

    ./swish-e -w foo -f dir/index.name

>Thanks very much.  The metaphone searching, by the way, is fantastic.

Cool.  Not too fuzzy?

BTW double-metaphone is currently slightly broken.  If you search for a
*phrase* and a word is expanded into two metaphones, the search will fail.

mailto:moseley@hank.org