Re: Help with Mac OS X install

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 05:41:53 GMT
At 04:27 PM 09/04/02 -0700, Michael P. Monan wrote:
>Hi...
>
>>At 03:54 PM 09/04/02 -0700, Michael P. Monan wrote:
>>>./configure --with-libxml2=/usr/local --with-zlib=/usr/local
>>>--prefix=/usr/local
>>
>>Is /usr/local/bin in your path?  The configure script tries to run
>>xml2-config to figure out where libxml2 is installed.
>
>It is in my path, just trying to be explicit if it's somewhere else also...

That's what the xml2-config program does -- it reports back where the
headers and libraries are installed.  Configure runs xml2-config --prefix
to see where it's installed.  Same difference, really.

>line 1027 of swish.h: extern unsigned int DEBUG_MASK;

Ah, good spot.  So it seems that perl 5.8.0 decided to use something of the
same name.

./perl.h:#define DEBUG_MASK  0x000FFFFF /* mask of all the standard flags */

The quick hack is to add this patch

+#undef DEBUG_MASK
 #include "../src/swish.h"

But a better solution is to define a better header file for the swish-e
library.  Now where did I put that todo list???

>[athanor:build-swish-e-2.2rc1/swish-e/perl] root# make

It probably doesn't matter here, but I have had problems in the past
building as root.  For one thing you might have a different path as root.
Root is just dangerous, too.  Hate to find out the hard way just how clean
"make clean" really is.

>cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
>cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

The -L path for searching for the swish-e library is set to first look into
the "src" directory (where the swish library is built).  That warning is
telling you that the library search path has changed, I believe.

I added that -L search path after spending an hour trying to debug the
module when I was linking to the wrong library (one I had installed in
/usr/local/lib instead of the library in the src dir).

That's probably the wrong thing to do, but it will probably stay that way
until I can get time to add a configure script to check for the correct
library location.   In general, seems that you would want to link against
the code that came with the distribution that includes the perl module.

Some day swish will have a more standard autoconf/libtool build process and
build a .so library so it will (should) have to link against libraries in
standard locations.

mailto:moseley@hank.org