Re: no hits with soundex

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 19:00:48 GMT
On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 08:52, Bill Moseley wrote:
> My guess is that you will find soundex too fuzzy.  We discussed changing
> to or adding support for metaphone matching, but nothing has happend
> there yet.  I doubt it would be that hard to add.

It should be trivial to add, really.  I've never gotten back to looking
at it.  I think I was looking at snowball because it supports languages
other than English.

Soundex is really only for searching US (other?) Genealogical (maybe
other name-based) data sources where you might have 10 different
spellings for common names (smith, smithe, smythe, smyth, etc).  It's
obviously not immensely useful for comparing words.

> That's a bug, I suppose.  I didn't look at the code, but by using -T I can
> see that numbers are converted into an empty string by soundex.  The way
> the stemming module works is if it can't stem a word it returns the
> original word.  Soundex should do the same thing.

Probably not a bad idea.  Since it's working on documents it might be
handy to be able to search for someone's name and a significant date
related to them.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/