Re: wish list

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 15:55:23 GMT
At 08:33 AM 08/17/02 -0700, Khalid Shukri wrote:
>Here are some suggestions for changes in swish:
>!. Change the TranslateChars option so that you can can substitute one
>character for two, and opposite. This would help to deal with the
>german characters ,,, (I wonder how this looks in your browser..),
>which are sometimes transcribed as ae,oe,ue,ss.

Seems like a good idea.  Patches welcome.

(making swish UTF-8 internal would be a welcome "patch", too.   But I think
"patch" in that sense means a total rewrite...)

One thing that I think is broken is the feature to define the sort order
for characters.  I haven't looked at that for a while, but I think it's
still broken.

>2. A new builtin meta name swish_all and/or the possibility to define a
>new meta name as a list of existing metas in searching mode, without
>having to build a new index.

Not sure what you mean.  So you can say search in all metanames at the same
time?  Or define a group of metanames to search in?  I've been wanting
this, too.  Something like  meta1,meta2,meta3=(words in those metanames) or
*=(word anywhere).

I think the main problem is phrase searching, so swish would still need to
track word hits by metaname internally to do the phrase matching correctly.
 So it might be just as efficient as what you have to do now with:

     meta1=($query) or meta12=($query) or meta3=($query)

>3. I would like swish not to return an error on a no results query, but
>just an empty list

  moseley@laptop:~/swish-e/src$ ./swish-e -w hello -H0
  1000 index.c "index.c" 78347

  moseley@laptop:~/swish-e/src$ ./swish-e -w blabla -H0