Re: joy? swish-e segfault

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 22:59:47 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Michael wrote:
> merges are slower than 2.05 -- hard to say quantitatively now. My
> guess is around 2:1 for files as above at least. I used to be able to
> merge the whole thing in a day or two but based on the benchmark of
> above, it would take 80-100 hrs or more.

I really can not remember.  IIRC, merge in 2.1-dev works like it did in
2.05, but 2.1's indexing is much faster and uses less RAM.  Merge in 2.1
does not take advantage of all the compression features of normal
indexing.  Hopefully that will be fixed sometime...

The index format is different with 2.1, so that might be one reason it's
slower than 2.05.

You have two options over merging.  One is to index everything at once,
and the other is to specify more than one index file on the command line
when searching.

And you can use -e if you are short on RAM.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org