Re: DLL and license

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 12:31:41 GMT
At 04:23 AM 6/28/02, jmruiz@boe.es wrote:
>So, why not changing the license into a less restrictive one if it
>can be helpful for someone?
>Anyway, Ptarik, a question for you, why do not share your code to
>the community? we are sharing ours to you ;)

I think the second paragraph answers the first: If you want swish-e
to remain viable, and not be "taken private", then a fairly strict
license is required. Otherwise there will always be people who take
what others have contributed freely as the basis for their work,
and give nothing back.

I've personally seen a lot of this in the engineering design
automation market, where some professors who consult for software
companies assign their grad students research projects that are
directly used by the software companies (free and without any
credit) instead of the company paying for the development.

And then there's BSD unix vs. SysV unix...

SRE

mailto:eckert(at)not-real.climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

  People will accept your ideas much more readily
  if you tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it first.