Re: XML/XSLT solutions?

From: Alex Lyons SercoAssurance-Winfrith Tel01305-202368 FAX01305-202194 <ajlyons(at)not-real.sercoassurance.com>
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 11:12:14 GMT
Thomas,

> Does anyone have something positive/negative to say about one or
> more of the above?  Have I left an important option off the list?

I have been very impressed by libxslt/libxml2: it's blindingly fast
compared to the usual Java/Jakarta solutions (like from two hours to
three _seconds_ in one particularly complex case), and it seems to
handle most of the XSLT standard.  The Perl interface (XML::LibXSLT)
might be a bit ropy, but if it causes any trouble, don't use it: just
fork a call to the xsltproc command instead.

I've never got the pure Perl XML::XSLT package to work properly on any
"real" XSLT application.

If you go for a Java solution (Cocoon/Xalan) you might want to consider
avoiding Perl altogether and do the whole thing in Java: check out
Jean-Michel David's JavaSwish wrapper at http://www.capella.org/swish

This is purely personal advice.  Hope it helps.

Alex Lyons

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If you
are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such
information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are free
from viruses.

Serco Group plc. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2048608
Registered Office: Dolphin House, Windmill Road, Sunbury-on-Thames,
TW16 7HT, United Kingdom.