Re: make error - undefined symbol vsnprint

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 18:29:41 GMT
At 10:55 AM 05/14/02 -0700, Don wrote:
>I have placed snprintf.o and libsnprintf.so in /usr/local/lib.
>I have used ./configure --libdir=/usr/local/lib and setenv
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib, and a few other attempts as well.
>Still make reports undefined symbol.

Someone PLEASE step in and correct anything I say wrong.

--libdir is telling configure where to *install* the swish-e library after
building, not where to look for libraries.

Most compilers will look in /usr/local/lib so you shouldn't need to specify
that.  But you do need to tell swish to use the snprintf library.

So, you should be able to do this (with optional zlib and libxml2, if you
wish)

$ rm config.cache
$ LDFLAGS=-lsnprintf ./configure  --with-zlib --with-libxml2

<me talking to myself>

If you look at src/Makefile.in you see

cflags      = @CFLAGS@
ldflags     = @LDFLAGS@

When configure builds the Makefile it will then set ldflags to whatever is
specified with the LDFLAGS environment variable.  then later in the
Makefile the swish-e binary is built with

$(NAME): libswish-e.a swish.o
        $(CC) -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) swish.o libswish-e.a $(LIBS)
        chmod 755 $@

Me thinks that the perl module won't build in this situation without adding
-lsnprintf to perl/Makefile.PL and LD_RUN_PATH, if libsnprintf isn't in the
normal search path.

</me talking to myself>

mailto:moseley@hank.org