Re:Re: filefilter for mp3

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 19:33:15 GMT
On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 12:43, maildofernando wrote:
>    David Norris asked:  "Are you indexing on Unix?"
> 			-Not, I am using Windows.

Writing a PERL script would be ideal in any case.  And, you would be
able to extract more descriptive ID3v2 tags where they are provided.

My id3.conf should be a good guide.  Substitute mp3info with your PERL
script.  If you format the ID3 filter script's output as XML then you
can search the index based on filename, album, artist, title, genre,
etc.

Some Tips:

You may want to parse the filtered .mp3 output using XML2 instead of
XML.  libxml2 is a better parser, in my opinion.  (id3.conf was written
before libxml2 support.)  I changed mine to use XML2, anyway.

If your MP3 files have special characters (spaces, quotes, etc) in their
names then you may want to use the "-S prog" method Bill mentioned.
It's more complicated but it shouldn't have any trouble indexing strange
filenames.  DirTree.pl, included with swish-e, is a good example of
walking a directory tree using "-S prog" method.  You can probably add
an ID3 parser to that script without much trouble.

Here's example output from my _mp32xml.sh (using mp3info):

<mpeg>
	<filename>/Library/Audio/Music/Jazz/Jimmy_Scott_-_Jealous_Guy.mp3</filename>
	<title>Jealous Guy</title>
	<artist>Jimmy Scott</artist>
	<genre>Jazz</genre>
</mpeg>