Re: filefilter for mp3

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 16:58:02 GMT

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 06:56, maildofernando wrote:
>    Exists some Perl script to index
> mp3 files (media files with ID3 tag)?
>    Is possible to pass some param in
> the filefilter property to 'filter' mp3?

I don't use a PERL script.  But, I do index ID3 info.

Are you indexing on Unix?  Can you use the mp3info program?  I use a
simple shell script to format the output of mp3info into a crude XML
document.  The contents of the shell script could probably be directly
included in the FileFilter directive, though.

I attached the filter script and the config.  (If the list mangles the
attachments and anyone else wants the files then let me know.)

MP3info download:

This IS NOT the same program as:

But, the second, newer program could be used by slightly modifying the
mp3info command line options in the shell script.  They do the same
thing but differently.

 David Norris
  Dave's Web -
  Augury Net -
  ICQ - 412039

# Change these...
IndexDir /home/public/Library/Audio/Music
IndexFile /home/public/Library/Audio/Music/_index/mp3.swish
ReplaceRules remove "/home/public"
IndexOnly .mp3

# Change these...
IndexName "MPEG Music Library"
IndexDescription "Meta Data for MPEG Music Library"=20
IndexPointer ""
IndexAdmin "David Norris ("

# The basics required to index MP3s
IndexContents XML .mp3
FilterDir /opt/swish-e/filter-bin
FileFilter .mp3

# This allows us great search capabilities
MetaNames filename title artist genre
PropertyNames filename title artist genre

# This is probably important
TranslateCharacters :ascii7:

# I don't recall why I needed all of this. =20
# You can experiment with these; I think at least some are important.
WordCharacters abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.-=E9
IgnoreFirstChar .-
IgnoreLastChar  .-
BeginCharacters abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789=E9
EndCharacters   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789=E9
FollowSymLinks yes
IndexReport 2
IgnoreTotalWordCountWhenRanking yes
IgnoreWords file: /opt/swish-e/conf/stopwords/english.txt
IndexComments 0
BumpPositionCounterCharacters |.

Non-text elements of this multipart message
have been deleted to make the message conform
with the policies of this list