Re: Running swish with mod_perl

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 18:24:15 GMT
At 08:48 PM 05/01/02 -0700, Avi Rappoport wrote:
>Just curious, are you running the same query every time?  Have you
>considered running a variety of queries?

Yes, these are basic "ab" benchmarks.  160 request per second for the same
word requested over and over.  So after initial disk reads on the first
request, my guess is everything is in RAM.  Not a real world setup.

More complicated queries will take longer, as will more results per query
(as you saw).  I don't know that a variety of queries would make a
difference, other than being an average of those types of queries, but it
might force more disk reads.

My guess is, regarding speed it doesn't matter that much how swish is run
as the application will probably have most of the overhead.  Use any of my
term highlighting modules and you will see what I mean.  They can be slow.

mailto:moseley@hank.org