Re: Running swish with mod_perl

From: Alex Lyons SercoAssurance-Winfrith Tel01305-202368 FAX01305-202194 <ajlyons(at)not-real.sercoassurance.com>
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 18:23:48 GMT
>Yes, sorry, the mod_perl handler uses the library.

Thanks for clarifying that.

>>I tend to run my perl CGI stuff as FastCGI rather than mod_perl, so the
>>extra memory required for the SWISHE perl library is less of an issue as
>>it doesn't get loaded into all the httpd processes.
>
>Doesn't the memory just get shifted to the backend processes?  Kind of like
>using the standard config of a proxy in front of mod_perl?  Or am I mixing
>that up with SpeedyCGI?

I suppose so, but the memory has got to get loaded sometime.  So there's a single
perl/swish-e-lib process (I don't need more than one) sitting on the server
handling all search requests from the httpds.  Think of it as a persistent
swish-e process.  If it dies, the FastCGI handler just starts another one when
the next request comes in.

Alex.

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If you
are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such
information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are free
from viruses.

Serco Group plc. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2048608
Registered Office: Dolphin House, Windmill Road, Sunbury-on-Thames,
TW16 7HT, United Kingdom.