Re: Mod_perl and Swish-e conflict

From: David Vermooten <david(at)not-real.ink.org>
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 19:51:49 GMT
Thanks for the advice.  The problem is on a production server.  We
currently don't have gdb installed on it. The identical script and
module, etc work perfectly however on a  separate development server we
have that is set up to mirror the file/directory/content structure of
the production server.

There are some differences between the two servers though.
Production Server - Redhat 7.1 , Perl 5.6.1
Development Server - Redhat 6.2 , Perl 5.6.0

Again it is the production server that is having problems.

I'll try to get that index to you in a day or two, as well as the config
setup.

David

Bill Moseley wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:11:22 -0700 (PDT) David Vermooten wrote:
>
>>    [Tue Apr 30 08:19:30 2002] [notice] child pid 20270 exit signal
>>Segmentation fault (11)
>>whenever a search is run.
>>
>>The problem appears to occur at the point that the module calls
>>"SwishSearch" which is implemented in the code SWISHE.c.  If the string
>>is passed in which indicates that it should sort by relevance (i.e. '' -
>>a null string enclosed by single quotes) it seg-faults right there.  If
>>I put any value into the $sort string though (i.e. 'title asc' or even '
>>') it consistantly provides the results that there are 0 results
>>applicable and then it almost instantly seg-faults when it hits the call
>>to SwishNext.
>>

>I haven't tried this, but I guess if you wanted to track it down try
>running Apache under gdb with Apache's -X option.  That would give more
>detail about where in swish it's catching the segfault.  That's something
>I can look at in a few days, if you can send me a small index file and
>your config setup.
>
>I'd also be very interested to hear your experiences with mod_perl
>and swish.  I found that embedding swish into Apache ended up using
>a lot more RAM, but when I tested using Apache Benchmark (ab) I didn't
>see that many more requests per second vs running swish as an external
>program (forking Apache and running swish).

to a plain text message.